Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer Recipes

It's been awhile since I've done any cooking at all, and definitely since I've posted any goodies here!

It is berry season here and I got a 2lb. clamshell of blueberries, the other day so decided to make the Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins that I found in last summer's Taste of Home healthy Cooking magazine. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone and I altered this recipe even more to make it even lower in calories. Tiana still has eaten quite a few, as has her friend Terrah. They are very tasty and may need to be made again! Oooh! And maybe with rhubarb, or raspberries, or blackberries, too!!

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
1¼ c. all-purpose flour
1 c. quick-cooking oats
½ c. packed (I didn't pack it!!) brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt½ tsp. cinnamon¼ tsp. baking soda¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. plain yogurt (I used fat free)
¼ c. butter (melted) (I used 2 Tbs. + 2 Tbs. drained, unsweetened applesauce)
1 c. fresh blueberries

In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Combine the egg, yogurt and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners. Fill 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 400º for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Nutrition facts for regular recipe (my changes in parenthesis): Per Muffin
167 calories (138)
6 g fat (3)
31 mg cholesterol (23)
249 mg sodium (225)
26 g carbohydrates (24)
1 g fiber
4 g protein
Another favorite of Tiana's is Buffalo Chicken Burgers. I like these best when I grind my own chicken breasts, but whatever these are good!

Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Tangy Slaw
Slaw:
¼ c. thinly sliced celery¼ c. shredded apple
2 Tbs. prepared fat-free blue cheese salad dressing
1 tsp. finely chopped walnuts

Sauce:
3 Tbs. Lousiana-style hot sauce
2 tsp. ketchup
2 tsp. reduced-fat butter, melted

Burgers:
2 Tbs. chopped sweet red pepper
2 Tbs. + 4 tsp. thinly sliced green onions, divided
1 Tbs. unsweetened applesauce
¼ tsp. salt¼ tsp. garlic salt¼ tsp. pepper
1 lb. ground chicken
4 lettuce leaves
4 hamburger buns

In a small bowl, combine celery, apple, salad dressing and walnuts. In another small bowl, combine the hot sauce, ketchup and butter; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, 2 Tbs. green onions, applesauce, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. (I often grind this all together for easy, complete distribution). Shape into 4 burgers. Broil 6" from the heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer reads 165º, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Serve on lettuce-lined buns; top each with 2 Tbs. slaw and spinkle with remaining onions. If you grill these, make sure you REALLY coat the grill rack with plenty of spray so they don't stick! Extra sauce is always good if you like it spicy!!

1 Burger: 312 calories, 12 g fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein



1 comment:

NadineB said...

I think I'll try your blueberry muffin recipe today... I have some blueberries I need to use up. We have two bushes and they were loaded this year... yumm!