Friday, November 9, 2012

A new recipe!

So, it's been awhile since I've posted anything, but I found this recipe while I was cleaning up the kitchen and I want to make sure I have it to make it again someday!  I made these to go with the BBQ ribs we had for our anniversary dinner (20 years!).  They were quite tasty.  The only thing I will do different is leave the seeds in next time!


Cheddar and Jalapeño Biscuits
1-1/3 c. (175g) flour
1/4 c. (45g) polenta or fine milled corn meal
3 Tbs. (45g) sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch cayenne pepper
6 oz. (1-1/2 c. packed, 170g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (1-1/4 c. and 1/4 c.)
2 Tbs. diced fresh jalapeños (more or less to taste)
3/4 c. + 2 Tbs. heavy whipping cream (200 mL), plus extra for brushing

Preheat oven to 425º (220º C).  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, polenta, salt, sugar, cayenne, and baking powder.  Stir in 1-1/4 c. of the cheese and the diced jalapeños.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.  Pour the cream into the center of the well and use your (clean!) hands to gently bring together the ingredients.  If you need to add a bit more cream, then do so in a tiny trickle at a time.  You just want everything to get wet enough so that the dough will be sticky and clumpy.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead the dough just a few times - maybe only 3 or 4 pushes.
Form the dough into a disc about 3/4" to 1" thick.  Use a biscuit cutter, or small juice glass to cut round biscuit shapes out of the disc.  Combine the leftover dough and keep forming small round biscuit shaped until the dough is used up.
Place on a Silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet, with at least an inch or two between the biscuits.  Brush the tops with a little more cream.  Top with a sprinkle of the remaining cheese.  Bake for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.

Makes 10-12 biscuits
from Simply Recipes

1 comment:

Jane said...

Is it really 20 years? I can't believe it...where have I been all these years? Congratulations a little late. Hope the best is yet ahead in the next 50! Love, Jane