Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Lunch

Since it's easy, something Kent can do AND make breakfast for our guests, we had Roast and Noodles again today! It is a PERENNIAL favorite around here! Tiana ate, I think she said, 10 helpings of noodles today!

ROAST AND NOODLES3-4 lb chuck roast
1/4 c. olive oil
Kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
1 large onion, sliced
4+ cloves of garlic, minced
2 c. beef broth
2 c. red wine (I always use the cheapest burgundy available! I've used expensive wine and it wasn't as good!)
1 lb. wide egg noodles

Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper and brown in hot olive oil. After thoroughly browning roast, remove it from the pan and add the sliced onion, sauteing until well caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add garlic, wine and broth, bringing to a boil. Add roast back to Dutch oven, cover, set heat to LOW and simmer for 2-1/2 hours. Remove roast from liquid, add egg noodles, stirring well, add meat back to the noodles and let cook for 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really yummy...if you do all the prep work ahead of meeting it can easily cook during meeting and you have have it for a yummy lunch! Wish my hubby could cook, since it's not a favorite of mine to do. Oh well, they get what they get! (No complaints or you can cook it yourself!) ha ha

GIEJ Long said...

Hei, I forgot to tell you today that I tried this recipe this evening, but I have to confess I didn't follow it 100%. I cut the meat in small pieces, I thought it'll be easier to eat (and to cook), and I put less wine and more broth, and it was wite wine, as I didn't have the other. So, ... you'll say now that I did a different recipe :-) Oh well, I'll have to try it again and be closer to the original. But it did come out very good, and the most important thing was to see the KIDS eat and eat and eat.
Thank you for sharing!