Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dinner for a YUCKY night!

Well, on this thoroughly disgusting wet night I thought I would share a yummy dish with you! We had this for dinner, and I for one really liked it! Kent wishes he'd pounded the chicken a bit flatter and Tiana was wishing her tummy was a little more settled for something so rich.

Chicken Provolone

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1/4 tsp. pepper
Butter-flavored cooking spray
8 fresh basil leaves
4 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
4 slices provolone cheese

Sprinkle chicken with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with butter-flavored cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet; top with basil, prosciutto and cheese. Broil 6-8 inches from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

236 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 33 g protein

Mediterranean Summer Squash

1/4 c. chopped onion
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 c. crumbled feta cheese (I used fat-free)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
(I had some leftover asparagus spears and I cut them into 1-1/2" pieces and added, too!)

In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the squash, zucchini and garlic (and the asparagus!); saute 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through.

2/3 c. serving: 69 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 4 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein

This is the sort of night that practically begs me to bake cookies, but I really don't need any and I'm the only one who would eat them, so I'm being strong and saying NO!

I hope you are warm and dry where you are!

2 comments:

Cora said...

I am going to give that squash recipe a try. I love feta. Man, I wish I had the ingredients in the house and I would be in the kitchen. This goes on my shopping list. Guess I will go cook a big mess of cauliflower and sprinkle with cheddar for meal. I like to make my meal just vegies sometimes and then I pig out.

Lainey said...

Not dry and sunny where we are, and I am quite grumpy about it. You are such a good mommy to cook wonderful food like this, on a week night even! Impressive. It looks delish.